“These plates never come out clean!”
Have you ever said that before when opening your dishwasher? Chances are you’ve been loading the machine wrong - just like the rest of us!
But don’t worry, thanks to the ‘cleanfluencers’ trend taking Instagram by storm, there’s a whole host of tips out there on how to make the best use of your dishwasher.
Before we give you some top tips on our stacking techniques, make sure your machine is cleaned regularly. Cleaning gurus use all sorts of products that you can find in most homes - Clean My Space uses baking soda and white vinegar, whereas the Queen of Clean is famous for using lemon juice as part of her daily cleaning routine.
We all know there are so many things that we can put in the dishwasher, including baby toys and toothbrushes, but there are a few items that need to be washed by hand such as wooden spoons, sharp knives, and non-stick pans, to name just a few.
How to load a dishwasher
Now we have the basics down, check out our dishwasher stacking hacks!
1. Be organised when it comes to loading the dishwasher. Stack the items on the counter or in the sink in the order you would load the machine.
2. Stack plates on either side of the bottom rack but make sure they’re all facing the centre of the dishwasher.
3. Place mugs and glasses along the sides of the top rack, giving the drinkware some ‘breathing room’ so they don’t bang together and break. Plus, if they aren’t touching one another, the drying cycle will work more efficiently ensuring there are no watermarks.
4. Slide cutting boards and flat oven trays around the perimeters of the bottom rack to ensure water can reach all lower items.
5. Make sure everything placed in the top rack is facing down to ensure nothing fills with water.
6. Whether you have a cutlery holder or a rack, use MeMore by Kelly Nahama’s trick by grouping your utensils together to ensure more efficient cleaning and unloading.
7. Think safety when handling your cutlery and place knives downwards in the holder.
8. Once the machine is loaded, give the spray arms a quick spin to make sure nothing is going to stop the water reaching both racks.
The next time you come to load the dishwasher, be sure to make the most of your machine and follow these eight stacking hacks!