Make a batch of savoury English Breakfast Waffles as a special treat!
We’ve enlisted the cooking skills of Lucy Parissi – aka Supergolden Bakes – for some inspiration on how to make super tasty English breakfast waffles.
How to makes six English breakfast waffles
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs separated
- 370ml buttermilk
- 60g melted butter
- 100g finely grated cheddar cheese
- 12 thin strips of bacon
- Cooking spray to grease waffle maker optional
- Salt and pepper to season
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt with a hand or stand mixer until you have stiff peaks. Set aside
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Stir using a balloon whisk to combine
- Mix the buttermilk, melted butter, yolks and cheese together in a measuring jug and gradually add to the dry ingredients, beating together until the batter is smooth
- Gradually fold in the whisked egg whites
- Preheat your waffle maker and mist with cooking spray or brush with a little melted butter.
- Lay two strips of bacon on the waffle maker and pour a ladleful of the batter over them in the centre. Don't add too much as it will spread out when you close the lid
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the waffle is golden and crisp. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Serve topped with fried eggs and a side of baked beans.
For more recipe inspiration, visit Lucy’s website - Supergolden Bakes!