Pulled pork is delicious and incredibly versatile – serve it in burgers buns, over nachos, in enchiladas or quesadilla.
It is also so easy to make in your slow cooker, simply add all the ingredients and let it cook slowly until it is fall-apart tender. Yum!
Here’s how to make slow cooker pulled pork:
- 1.2kg pork shoulder, remove large pieces of fat
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 150g ketchup or BBQ sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 50ml red wine vinegar or you can use cider or ginger beer
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cornflour (optional)
- Cut the pork shoulder into large pieces and trim any visible fat. Season well with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine the sugar, spices, garlic, ketchup/BBQ sauce, tomato purée and vinegar in your slow cooker
- Add the pork and use tongs to coat it in the sauce and spices
- Add the onions, cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or on LOW for 8 -10 hours. The pork should feel fork tender and falling apart by the end of the cooking time
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pork to a large bowl and shred using two forks
- Return the pork to the slow cooker and combine with the sauce
- If the sauce needs to be reduced, dilute the cornflour in two tablespoons of cold water and add to the slow cooker. Cook, uncovered, on high until the sauce starts to thicken
- Serve the pulled pork in burger buns with coleslaw or use it to top nachos, in sandwiches, as a jacket potato filling etc.
Get more foodie inspo from Supergolden Bakes over on her blog!