At this time of year, plums are in abundance.
With the weather being as glorious as it is, a plum crumble fresh from the oven isn’t quite as appealing as it is at other times of year! So why not try out some fruity plum compote instead? I love the versatility of compote; you can serve it with yogurt, spread it on toast, add a dollop to porridge or just enjoy it on its own!
August 11 marks National Plum Day, so get fruity with your cooking by following this simple recipe.
Here's how to make plum compote
- 500g of red plums
- 250ml of water
- 3tbsp of light brown sugar
- 2tsp of vanilla extract
1. Destone the plums, then tip into a saucepan and pour the sugar on top
2. Turn the heat on low and stir the sugar through the plums
3. Now add the water and heat gently for around 15 minutes
4. Add the vanilla extract and stir well
5. Cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the plums have softened
6. Once the plums are soft, strain them off to remove any excess juices and then return to the heat. Turn up the heat on the sauce for 5 minutes, allowing it to thicken
7. Once the plums and sauce have cooled, transfer them to an airtight container and keep in the fridge
Plum compote is my absolute favourite and I make lots of it at this time of year. You can also add different spices to your compote, like cinnamon or star anise, if you want to bring another dimension to the flavour!