We all know the British love a biscuit. And what’s better than the much-loved Jammie Dodger – two biscuits sandwiched together by a fruity jam filling.
They’re loved by kids and adults alike and guaranteed to be the first biscuit to disappear from the biscuit tin! These jammy biscuits are so much better when they’re homemade – this version is suitable for vegans, so everyone can enjoy them!
Here's how to make vegan Jammie Dodgers
To make the biscuit dough, mix the dairy-free butter and caster sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and stir it in. Then add the plain flour and salt, and mix until a dough forms. It’s important not to knead the dough at all. Once it comes together, wrap it in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
In the meantime, you can pre-heat your oven and line your baking tray(s) with greaseproof baking paper. Roll out your biscuit dough onto a well-floured surface (I like to use a silicone mat to keep my work surface clean). Use cutters to cut out the biscuit shapes and the heart shaped window.
Place the shapes onto your baking tray(s) and bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden. Then cool fully, preferably on a cooling rack.
To assemble and decorate the biscuits, spread jam onto the bottom layer, sprinkle the cut-out biscuit with icing sugar, then place it on top.
Put the kettle on, and it’s time to tuck into your cute jammy creations!
If you are doing the biscuits in batches, place the cut out biscuit shapes in the fridge while you wait for the biscuits in the oven to bake. This will help them to keep their shape.
You can keep the biscuits in an airtight container for 1 week (if they last that long!)
I used raspberry jam to fill the biscuits, but you could use strawberry, blackcurrant or a salted caramel sauce or hazelnut chocolate spread if you prefer!
Homemade vegan Jammie Dodgers recipe
- 200g dairy free butter (I used Vitalite)
- 120g Caster sugar
- 300g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 125g Raspberry Jam
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- Mix the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy
- Mix in the vanilla extract
- Mix in the plain flour and salt and form the mixture into a dough
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/325F/Gas Mark 3 and line your baking tray(s) with greaseproof baking paper
- Roll out the dough onto a well-floured surface and cut out circles using a round cookie cutter. In half of the biscuits, use a small heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out a heart shaped hole
- Place the biscuits onto the lined baking tray(s), and bake for 12-14 minutes
- Leave to cool fully either on the trays or on a cooling rack
- Spread about 1 tsp jam onto each of the round biscuits
- Dust the biscuits with the heart cut out with icing sugar, then place on top of the jam covered biscuit
- Store in an airtight container and eat leftovers within 1 week. They can also be frozen without the jam filling
Get more baking inspo from Kat over on her blog, The Baking Explorer!