Fun festive brownies, cut into triangles and decorated with sprinkles, candy canes and buttercream!
These decadent chocolate brownies are fudgey, sweet and gooey, and they’ve gotten all dressed up for the Christmas season! Instead of cutting them into squares, cut them into triangles, add green buttercream, a candy cane stalk and some sprinkles to create edible Christmas trees.
They are such a fun and easy bake for the holidays, especially if you’re planning a family baking session. Kids will love to join in with making and decorating these Christmas tree brownies.
Here’s how to make Christmas tree brownies
To make the brownies, melt the chocolate and butter together in a pan on a low heat. Leave to cool, and in a mixing bowl whisk eggs and caster sugar together. Pour the melted chocolate and butter into the whisked eggs and sugar, and whisk to combine.
Next, whisk in the plain flour and baking powder and pour the batter into a lined tin. Bake for 30 minutes and leave to cool completely.
Once cool, cut the brownies into triangles and decorate with buttercream, sprinkles and candy canes.
- You can decorate the brownie with white chocolate instead of buttercream if you prefer. Melt 150g white chocolate and stir some green food colouring into it. Pipe or drizzle it over the brownies, and be sure to add the sprinkles before it sets
- For extra fudgeyness, you can use other sugars like light or dark brown sugar for the brownies
- You can jazz up the brownies with some extra flavours. Add 2 tsp almond or orange extract to the brownie batter, or stir in some white chocolate chips
Recipe for the Christmas Tree Brownies
For the brownies:
- 250g Butter
- 350g Dark chocolate
- 250g Caster sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 120g Plain flour
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 200g Butter
- 400g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Milk
- Green food colouring
- 12 Candy canes
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 12" x 9" traybake tin
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter together in a pan on a low heat. When fully melted, stir together and remove from the heat. Let it cool for 10 minutes
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and caster sugar until frothy
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you pour it in
- Add the plain flour and baking powder. Whisk in until you can't see any more flour
- Pour the batter into the lined traybake tin and bake for 30 minutes
- Let the brownies cool completely in the tin before removing and slicing up into triangles
- To make the buttercream, use an electric hand whisk to mix together the butter and icing sugar, when they start to come together, add the vanilla extract, milk and green food colouring, and mix until smooth
- Pipe or spread the buttercream onto the brownies, and add your sprinkles
- Snap the curved part of the candy cane off, and push the straight part into the base of the triangle
- Serve immediately, store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
Recipe by Kat from The Baking Explorer