Beer loves chocolate and chocolate loves beer!
And the best beer to match with chocolate is a delicious dark stout. Stouts are naturally sweet but need the bitterness of hops to balance out the flavour, much like chocolate needs the right balance of cocoa and sugar (depending on your palate).
This delicate balance between sweet and bitter is why they make such a great pair. We’re combining our love of chocolate with our passion for beer by making a delicious chocolate stout cake. For this recipe we have used our own home-brewed Milk Stout but any other Stout is fine to use.
Here’s how to make chocolate stout cake
For the cake:
- 150ml(5floz) Milk Stout
- 75g(2½oz) good-quality dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- 100g(3½oz) unsalted softened butter
- 275g(10oz) soft light-brown sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 175g(6oz) self-raising flour
For the icing:
- 200g(7oz) dark chocolate
- 100ml double cream
- 100ml Milk Stout
- 15g(1tsp) butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
2. Grease a 20cm(8in) cake tin with butter
3. Add a little boiling water to a saucepan and heat until simmering
4. Break the chocolate into small pieces and add to a heatproof bowl along with the Milk Stout. Suspend the bowl over the water and gently heat the mixture, stirring regularly until the chocolate has melted
5. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, using either a food processor or electric whisk
6. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well
7. Pour in the chocolate mixture and beat again until combined and then gently fold in the flour
8. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the middle of the oven for approximately 30 minutes
9. Remove from the tin and leave to cool
1. Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl
2. Gently heat the cream and stout together until just boiling and pour straight over the chocolate
3. Leave to stand for a few minutes and then stir the mixture until chocolate has melted, add softened butter to the mixture and stir until the mixture is smooth
4.Leave to cool and thicken, then spread generously over the top of the chocolate cake
Start your own brewing experience from the comfort of your own abode, with the help of Home Brewtique.