For many, tequila is associated with the nasty shots done at the end of a boozy night out, giving it a bit of a bad rep as a ‘party drink’.
But this reputation is unfair, as when tequila is done properly, it’s a fantastic drink! So much so it’s even got its own national day, celebrated on July 24. The classic way to serve tequila is in a margarita, so channel your inner mixologist a shake up a delicious cocktail this National Tequila Day!
Here’s how to make a margarita cocktail
Whether you opt for a frozen or classic margarita, the ingredients you need are exactly the same. The only difference is that one is served straight up (classic) and the other is blended with ice.
- 50ml of tequila
- 25ml of Triple sec
- 25ml of lime juice
- Salt, for the rim of the glass.
1. Add the ice to a cocktail shaker, and top up with the tequila, Triple sec and lime juice.
2. Give it a good shake
3. Strain into a salt-rimmed glass
1. Add tequila, Triple sec and lime juice to a blender with a couple of handfuls of ice
2. Blitz until the mix is smooth
3. Serve in a salt-rimmed glass.
It really is that easy to make this delicious drink. Frozen margaritas are super refreshing on a hot day, and look seriously impressive when you make them for your friends. As tasty as both of these drinks are, they pack a mighty punch so take care and drink responsibly!