The second recipe in our Festive Foodie series is this delicious Pavlova wreath.
This crowd-pleasing dessert is perfect for serving over the holidays as a party-stopping desert, an alternative to that Christmas pud or a delicious Boxing day treat. If cranberry compote is a little too tart for your taste, you could top the pavlova with fresh berries or exotic fruit instead. This recipe will make two smaller wreaths or one big one.
Prep time: 25 minutes, Baking time: 1h 30m plus cooling time, Oven temperature: 120C
220ml egg whites (6 eggs), 330g caster sugar, 2 tsp white wine vinegar
To fill and decorate
350ml double cream, 150g icing sugar, 1 tbsp brandy or rum (optional), 1 tsp vanilla extract
300g fresh or frozen cranberries, 200g caster sugar, juice 1 one orange, strip orange peel, one small cinnamon stick, one star anise
- Preheat the oven to 150C. Use a 23cm cake tin to draw a circle on a large piece of baking paper. Turn the paper over and place on heavy baking tray.
- Put the egg whites in the bowl of your stand mixer. Start whisking at low speed until frothy.
- Increase speed to maximum. Once the meringue forms firm peaks, start adding the sugar a tablespoon at a time, waiting 30 seconds between each addition.
- Add the vinegar and continue whisking for a further 2 minutes, until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Place heaped spoonfuls of the meringue on the prepared tray, following the traced circle so that you form a ‘wreath’.
- Bake your wreath for 1 1/2 hours – don’t open the oven during that time.
- Turn the oven off and leave the wreath in the oven until completely cool.
- To make the cranberry compote, put all in the ingredients in a small saucepan and slowly bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the berries start to burst. Remove the peel and spices and leave to cool.
- Carefully transfer the pavlova wreath on a serving plate.
- Whisk the cream, icing sugar, brandy and vanilla until you have soft peaks.
- Spread or pipe the cream over the wreath and then top with your cranberry compote.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Try this easy recipe at home then head over to our Facebook page to enter our our Christmas competition. Send us your pavlova pictures or any snaps of your festive foodies celebrations and you could win £250 to spend at John Lewis