Throwing a dinner party or having friends over for a spot of afternoon tea?
Change it up from tradition and offer your guests a sweet treat that’ll be sure to get them licking their lips. Krispy Kreme doughnuts, melted chocolate, sliced strawberries and a heap of marshmallow cream – what could be more perfect than one of these whoopies pies for afters!
With a prep time of less than 30 minutes, here’s an easy-to-follow guide from Avant Life on mastering the art of the whoopie pie.
What you’ll need (serves 12):
For the chocolate sauce
- 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp double cream
For the filling
- 250ml double cream
- 150g marshmallow fluff
- Finely grated zest of half an orange
- 600g strawberries
- 12 Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnuts
Here’s how to make Krispy Kreme Whoopie Pies
- Firstly, you need to make the chocolate sauce. Boil water on your hob until simmering, then place the chocolate in a bowl on top of the pan to melt.
- Once melted, take off the heat and stir in the butter until it is fully mixed in, before mixing in the cream and golden syrup.
- Allow the chocolate mixture to cool, but make sure it does not set. If it does set, warm up the mixture again over the pan of simmering water.
- To make the filling for your whoopie pies, whisk the double cream until it becomes thick, then mix in the orange zest and marshmallow fluff.
- Keeping 12 individual strawberries to one side, hull and slice the rest
- Take your Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnuts and cut them horizontally in half, apply a deliciously thick serving of the cream and the strawberry slices on one half, then sandwich the doughnut back together.
- Place the doughnuts on serving plates and generously drizzle chocolate sauce over the top.
- To finish, serve each doughnut whoopie pie with a whole strawberry sitting in the doughnut hole.